About this Show

Huckabee

News/Business. Mike Huckabee comments on the news of the day.

NETWORK

DURATION
01:01:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Channel v760

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1280

PIXEL HEIGHT
720

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Obama 9, Us 9, Huckabee 6, Mike Rowe 5, Mike 4, America 4, Keith 4, Christina 3, Max 3, Joe 2, Gina 2, Mike Huckabee 2, Unaffordable 2, Underemployed 2, Keith Hall 2, Tamara 2, Lauren 2, Ocuvite 2, Max Liebman 1, Zenith 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    Huckabee    News/Business. Mike Huckabee  
   comments on the news of the day.  

    August 4, 2013
    8:00 - 9:01pm PDT  

8:00pm
enjoy the full moon and marry your cousin and crack your knuckles. what you think you know is not so. that's our show. see you next week. that is our show. eastern, and on the west coast, red eye tonight on "huckabee." >> we should be doing everything we can as a country to create more good jobs that pay good wages, period. >> the president talks a good talk, but what's the truth about today's job market? >> i have been long term unemployed for four years. >> i have never been unemployed. this is the first time. >> i work two jobs. they're both part-time. >> it is depressing, defeating, humiliating. >> the real unemployment numbers and the real stories behind them. having the freedom to maybe start your own business because you know you'll be able to get health care, and it is about jobs. >> is it about jobs?
8:01pm
small business owners say obama care makes it impossible for re. >> more dollars you take out of the owner's pocket, less money you have to reinvest into the company. want a solid, well paying career? "dirty jobs" host mike rowe says learn a blue collar trade. tonight on a special "huckabee," where's my job? ladies and gentlemen, governor mike huckabee. [ cheers and applause ] >> thank you, thank you very much and welcome to a special edition of "huckabee," where's my job? from man's beginning as recorded in the book of genesis, we were hard wired for work. we were told by god that we would earn our bread by the sweat of our brow. it is natural to want to prove value by producing. from the time we are children,
8:02pm
we imitate our parents in their work, whether it is the little boy who tries to take tools to fix something or the little girl who begs to help her mother in the kitchen. it is just part of our dna to want to be grown up, and one sure way to feel grown up is to work. that's why the loss of a job is far, far more than just an economic setback for a human being. it is dehumanizing to want to be productive and not be able to acquire meaningful labor. there's pride, there's dignity and being able to sit at the table and eat a meal that your work provided. but in our current economy, a record number of americans are either unemployed or underemployed, meaning the job they have is either part time or pays less than what's required to meet basic necessities. in 2011, the centers for disease control and prevention reported on the suicide rate from 1928 all the way to 2007.
8:03pm
suicide rates mirrored the economy in the ups and downs with a big uptick when the great depression began, and hitting a zenith in 1933. it spiked in the early '70s and '80s, peaking after unemployment hit its post war peak in 1982. suicide dropped to the lowest levels ever in the year 2000 when technology was on fire. unemployment was at a stunning 4% at the time. but has the dotcom bubble burst? american suicide rates have been steadily declining. all a stark reminder the job issue is an economic issue but more than that, it is an issue that gets to the very soul of our culture and its people. joblessness results in either people giving up in despair or rising up in defiance.
8:04pm
of course, both parties claim to be all about jobs. >> as you know, house republicans have been focused on economic growth and jobs since day one. >> a three letter word, jobs. j-o-b-s, jobs. >> thank you, joe. >> but the truth is, jobs aren't created so much when the government does something as they are when the government stops doing things that put an anchor instead of a life vest around the necks of entrepreneurs. we hear a lot about values, but do we value the work and the people that do it? if so, we ought to pay them as if we do value them and their work. companies ought to pay employees as generously as they can because good workers have worth. if the employer keeps too much for himself, he or she doesn't really value the worker. by the way, the reason that high
8:05pm
taxes are bad is because it is a sign that the government disrespects the worker by believing that what it is going to do with the worker's salary is better than what the person who earned it will do. but when we see employees as having worth, we'll see their work as having value. that's the value of work. now, i believe you are valuable and therefore what you do has value. the president spent some time pushing some job killing obama care, money wasting crony capital investment boondoggles like solyndra, and side show issues like free birth control, same-sex marriage, and late-term abortion. joe biden may not be able to count to four, but he's at least right about what we ought to be focused on. >> three letter word, jobs, j-o-b-s, jobs. >> thank you, joe. all right. on friday the labor department released the latest jobs figures.
8:06pm
american employers added 162,000 jobs in the month of july, and the unemployment rate was lowered to a 4.5 year low of 7.4%. my first guest says those numbers just don't add up and that government figures don't really reveal the full truth about the job situation in america. joining me, the former head of the bureau of labor and statistics, keith hall. keith, great to have you here today. >> good to be with you. >> friday we got those new numbers. 7.6 to 7.4. what's not to love, keith? >> well, first of all, that unemployment rate is the most closely watched economic statistic there is, and unfortunately that's gotten to be a very flawed statistic. and the reason is to be included in the unemployment rate, you need to be completely jobless, no job of any sort, no pay. second, you have to be active, you have to be doing certain things to be considered unemployed as opposed to jobless. particularly, conducting
8:07pm
interviews, sending resumes, things like that. and in reality what happens is when people are unemployed for a long time, at some point they get tired of looking and go into a passive mode. they send out resumes to everybody they can think of, talked to all their friends. when they go into passive mode, the government stops counting them. they stop being counted in the unemployment rate. a lot of what's happened is the unemployment rate particularly since the end of the recession four years ago has dropped, not because people are getting employed but peopbecause peoplee from unemployed to jobless. >> the front page of "the wall street journal" this weekend has an interesting article, low pay clouds job growth. what are the real numbers that we should be looking at, keith, when it comes to the unemployment figure? >> well, the number i think is most important now, also
8:08pm
important determining income growth and tax revenue and how many people are on welfare, it is something simple called the employment rate. it is the share of the working age population with a job. right now that number is low, about 58.7%. and the problem with that, of course, is that when the recession started, that was thought to be about 63%. when the recession ended, it had fallen all the way from 63% to 59.4%, but since then in the four years of recovery, that number has only gone down. it has actually declined over time. so for any sort of progress in recovery, that's the number that has to go up. have to have a bigger share of population with work, and that's not happening. >> keith, how many of those people that are considered employed working a few hours a week, not full-time, maybe part-time, maybe even a fraction of the time that they need to be working to make ends meet? >> there are certainly people underemployed in a number of ways. 20% of people employed now are
8:09pm
part-timers and that's rather a lot. that number is much bigger than it was before the recession started, so they're considered the employment as being employed, doesn't matter how many hours. that's a problem. and, of course, the second thing is do workers skills match the jobs they're in. if you've got somebody with a lot of experience, lot of skills now in a job inappropriate for them, they're counted as employed and not part of the statistics. >> keith, i appreciate your being here. by the way, keith is going to rejoin us later in the show so we'll keep him around for a while. coming up, tamera holder says the jobs outlook is bright. she says the president is helping job growth. can't wait to discuss that. and we hear from americans that are either unemployed or underemployed. they are desperate to find work. you'll meet them as well. >> i would like to hear from you. go to my website,
8:10pm
mikehuckabee.com. tell me what you think in the leave feedback section or sign up for my facebook page and follow me on twitter. find a link to that and more at mikehuckabee.com.
8:11pm
8:12pm
throughout the show tonight, you'll hear from people with different stories with one thing in common, they're all looking for work. sherry simmons took two pay cuts before she was laid off from her job as a health care insurance agent just last summer. she spent more than a year sending out dozens of resumes. sherry, let me ask what kind of feedback you've been getting from the employers that you're hoping will hire you? >> hi, governor. i have had kind of an interesting experience with interviewing. i looked at opportunities where i might be going into an entry level position, and one of the questions asked of me is pretty typical, what is your long-term goals, where would you like to be in say five years.
8:13pm
and i say, of course, that i would like to apply my skills and be able to grow with the company, learn their business, and be able to grow with them. and the response that i have had to that has been kind of surprising that well, we're a small company, we're not really planning on growing. most people don't get the opportunity to move up or grow in our company. that's just not in the plans right now. and that goes against pretty much everything i've learned about business, both in school and out in the real world, is that you constantly need to be adapting to the market and growing. >> sherri, i appreciate you being here. thank you for joining us. >> thank you. >> joining me now, tamera holder. she says the president is making progress on jobs. you have to convince me.
8:14pm
i maybe not seeing ethel merman singing everything is coming up roses. >> all americans on the left and right agree we have seen a stagnant economy. we have seen very slow growth. it is not what president obama hoped and dreamed. it is not what the average american hoped and dreamed about, but it is slow. i am not going back to the bush # started it kind of thing. >> you're not? that's the first time i heard a liberal not blame bush for it. we're making progress. that's progress. >> i can blame bush on other things if you want to get me started, but i think everybody is discouraged. the problem is that republicans are obstructionists, and instead of talking about how do we get more americans back to work, we're seeing them talk about how to cut food stamps, like every person on food stamps is a welfare lazy recipient and that's not the case. people on food stamps are hard
8:15pm
working people, making minimum wage jobs, doing minimum wage jobs, underemployed, need it to support their family. >> i wouldn't even argue. a lot of people are on government assistance out of necessity, that's not an argument you have with me. >> why does your party want to cut. >> i can't answer for everybody in the party. you're talking to me, not the people in d.c., when i think sometimes are as out of touch as obama is so just understand that. >> so it is both sides. >> it is both sides, except for this. it is the president's policies that make it very difficult for business owners to make long-term plans. the tax consequences, 20 taxes in obama care, 16 already in effect, the fact the payroll tax went back up, those are real issues that curb people from hiring. so why is it that the president's policies, if they're as good as you say they are, why haven't they resulted in stimulus package, why hasn't it resulted in something other than this anemic recovery? >> it is not the president's policies that are the problem.
8:16pm
they're part of the problem, but it is corporations' behaviors. we have seen mcdonald's, domino's, all these major corporations paying lesser wages and seeing profits. just saw in the news this past week, mcdonald's posted second quarter profits again. >> would it be better if they were losing money? would you be happier? >> no, but -- no, no, no. but if a company makes money, they should reward the people helping them make the money, the workers. the company is making the money because the guy standing at the cash register sells the burgers to the drive through customer. >> and i wish that every company could pay more, but what if they can't pay more because the cost of their doing business and cost of what their business is going to be in the next quarter is such they can't continue to do it, plus let's face it, a lot of companies, you may not understand, but they have investors, and if they don't return something to investors, the investors don't invest and the company goes out of business and everyone loses a job.
8:17pm
i am not defending low pay because i think people should pay good money for the jobs they do. that's what i just said in the monologue. what i want to specifically ask you to explain to me, how come it is that the obama policies have not resulted in anything other than a massive downturn in full-time employment we have a part-time nation now. >> this is typical republican scare tactics. massive downturn. there is no massive downturn here. we have seen a slow growth. we have seen -- and i agree that the numbers aren't necessarily that great. when you see front page of "mother jones" of all publications saying that the numbers are deceptive, you know, we all see it on both sides of the fence, but the point is that we're at a time now where there's a lot of instability. whether you talk to somebody on wall street or economists or people on the left and right, and we need to keep going at a pace of investing in our workers, and how do we do that? i agree with cutting corporate taxes and cutting small business
8:18pm
owner taxes, and that's what obama is trying to do. >> i missed that part of his policy. tamara, stay with us, we will bring you back at the end of the show. and "dirty jobs" host mike rowe talking about the value of blue collar jobs. but first, small business owners tell us why the president's policies are keeping them from hiring anybody. we'll be right back. ♪ it was the best day whoo! yes! ♪ it was the best day ♪ ♪ it was the best day yeah! ♪ it was the best day ♪ecause of yo [sigh] [echoing] we make a great pair. huh? progressive and the great outdoors -- we make a great pair. right, totally, uh... that's what i was thinking. covering the things that make the outdoors great. now, that's progressive. call or click today. the next day, we sprayed febreze air effects and led in real people.
8:19pm
i'd say it was very pleasant. flowers everywhere. oh! [ chuckles ] febreze did a really great job. impressive. febreze air effects eliminates tough odors for good. and try febreze stick & refresh. designed to stick to eliminate odors anywhere. simply click, peel off the strip and attach to surfaces in your house. febreze stick & refresh, another way to breathe happy. [ dog ]nd attach to surfaces we found it together.upbeat ] on a walk, walk, walk. love to walk. yeah, we found that wonderful thing. and you smiled. and threw it. and i decided i would never, ever leave it anywhere. because that wonderful, bouncy, roll-arod thing... had made you play. and that... had made you smile. [ announcer ] beneful. play. it's good for you.
8:20pm
8:21pm
christina recently lost her job as a mappinger at a non-profit. she has a bachelor's as well as masters degree and 20 years experience. she needs benefits and can't find a job that offers any. all right, christina, when you talk to potential employers and you say what are the benefits, what kind of response are you getting?
8:22pm
>> well, first of all, sometimes it doesn't even go there, because with the first interview, they don't talk about benefits, they say benefits are provided but they don't necessarily say what kind of benefits, and i don't necessarily bring it up, nor do they bring that conversation up. >> i hope things get better for you. i know that your situation is like that of so many people in the country, desperately looking for work. obviously you're willing to take some cuts from what you had, but you still have to be able to live. we wish you very well, christina. thank you. [ applause ] we're joined by a couple of small business owners. they want to grow their businesses, would like to hire more employees but can't. we talked to them in the past, both have been on the show. we're very happy to have them back. william marst and guyana martin of little rock tours. great to have you both back. >> thank you.
8:23pm
>> gina, i'll start with you. when we talked before, when you were on the show, you were telling us how obama care was very complicated, making it difficult for you to know if you got to the 50 level of employees, that was going to throw you into a whole new realm. have things simplified, gotten better, are they still confusing to you? >> they're still confusing for sure. they aren't any better, and simply because here we sit again. we know we have that one-year extension that has happened since the last time we spoke, but really things are not any better. we're still faced with just enormous cost increases for providing the health care that we provide, so we're having to look at decisions in our business to see do we even continue to pay the health care coverage with the employees that we pay it for now, because not only is health care insurance going up, the regulations are going up, the unemployment taxes going up, disability is going
8:24pm
up. every single aspect of what we do keeps going up and up. >> here is what i find interesting. the affordable care act was supposed to make health care more affordable, supposed to make it more accessible. your employees were already getting health care. now they're threatened with not getting it at all because the cost of the affordable care is not affordable. did i get that right? >> that's right. >> i think that's pretty -- it kind of goes against what should be happening. william, when you were here before, you talked about the challenges you face. you have a smaller company, handful of employees. how does the current policies of the government, whether it is obama care or tax policies, how does that keep you from growing? >> well, you hit the nail on the head, governor. you said this the affordable care act was supposed to, quote, bend the cost curve down. my health insurance agent came into my office about a week ago, said in 2014 when obama care is instituted you should expect your rates to go up 40% to 50%,
8:25pm
40% to 50%, after we've seen successive increases year after year of 10% to 15%. the fact is the affordable care act is nothing of the sort, it is totally unaffordable. furthermore, what's going to happen in small businesses like mine across the country is the rates are going to become totally unaffordable. at that point, employers will no longer offer health benefits. when that happens, employees will be effectively thrown to the curb. they'll join into the obama care arrangement, and the costs of obama care will balloon. so what you're seeing today and the unaffordability of the plan is really just the first wave of a tidal wave that will hit business. you ask what we're doing, keep our heads down and helmets on. to try to understand what kind of operational environment we have in several years' time is impossible. my job is to make sure my men
8:26pm
are employed, that food is on their table, that their mortgages are being paid, and i can't risk that future for them, for me and my family when the future is so terribly uncertain. >> i hear both of you saying even though you provide health care for your employees, it may get to the place you can no longer do that, it would be less expensive to pay the penalty, that would be a lot less expensive for you. then when you do that, your employees still are required by law to go out and find health care, which is going to be a whole lot more expensive for them. so how is this helpful to your business and to your employees? >> well, this isn't helpful at all. not only that, i would have to say the timing of this is awful because we're all seeing and william and i were talking backstage, we were talking about all of the increased regulations on top of the health care. the timing couldn't be worse. i would also like to say that i hear a lot, well, corporations are greedy. i want to make it clear, this isn't about greed for most
8:27pm
businesses. this is about survival, and it gets down to you only have so much money, and you have to allocate what you want to do with that money. if you throw it into health care, you don't have a business. so these are the choices that we're faced with. >> in the little time we have, i want both of you to tell me if you anticipate that you will hire new people over the next 12 to 15 months, will you let go some people because you just can't afford them anymore, or are you hoping to just hang on to what you got? william? >> well, we're not looking to hire in this environment. the market -- >> is it the environment? would you be hiring if it was a different climate? >> opportunity for american manufacturing is unbelievable. if you look at natural resources at our disposal, the growth in the global economy, the innovation history in america, our human capital, american manufacturing has a once in a lifetime opportunity to expand and to once again dominate the world. and it breaks my heart that at 40 years old, relatively young business owner, my outlook on
8:28pm
the future is not what it should be. >> gina, what about you quickl >> you have a fire in the belly if you're an entrepreneur as it is. i would say that the opportunities with our business and growth, they have certainly been stymied years ago, especially with this administration, because there's so much uncertainty out there. we never know what's coming down the pike, and we don't know with health care increases and everything else what we're going to do. right now, what we're looking to do really, you've heard this a lot, is increase your -- decrease your costs by turning your full-time workers into part-time workers, so that's one of the things that we have thought about doing with our business, and we really are looking at whether or not certain positions in our company are necessary because it is a fight for survival. >> we'll keep in touch with both of you. appreciate your being back today. if you want a good paying job, what about getting a job to
8:29pm
get your hands dirty? mike rowe, host of hit show "dirty jobs" shows us how changing attitudes toward blue collar trade could be, could be, the solution to high unemployment rates. stay with us. say they'll save you by switching, you'd have like, a ton of dollars. but how're they saving you those dollars? a lot of companies might answer "um" or "no comment." then there's esurance. born online, raised by technology and majors in efficiency. so whatever they save, you save. hassle, time, paperwork, hair-tearing out, and yes, especially dollars. esurance. now backed by allstate. click or call.
8:30pm
8:31pm
live from america's news headquarters i'm lauren green. the state department confirming many embassies and consulates in
8:32pm
the muslim world will remain closed after receiving threats of possible terrorist attacks. 19 of the 22 posts that were shut down this weekend will remain so this week out of an abundance of caution. a top republican on the senate intelligence committee revealing the chatter intercepted by u.s. agencies is very reminiscent of what we saw pre- 9/11, but a state department spokesperson is saying that the decision to extend the closures is not an indication of a new threat. diplomatic facilities in egypt, jordan, libya, saudi arabia and kuwait are among those that will remain shut down. and we will be monitoring the situation throughout the night. i'm lauren green. now let's go back to "huckabee." the issue. now huckabee. [ applause ] >> governor huckabee: max weaverman graduated cornell max liebman graduated from co cornell university with a degree
8:33pm
in nearing in 2008 and then a masters degree in 2012. he is an ideal candidate for the green jobs the obama administration is promoting. but five years on, he still can't find a job that matches his education. max, we hear about a lot of green jobs. you have been five years out there beating the pavement. have you thought about relocating maybe to houston or oklahoma city where the oil and gas jobs are? is that something you've even looked at? >> i thought about it and exercised on it. sent my resume to people in california, texas, canada, overseas, had my ears to the ground. it is the same story where i go. always we respect your education, sounds great on paper, but we're just not hiring anybody for your position now. and it baffles me because everybody told me for years, whether it was my family, friends, advisers in school, that i am on track. and everything is going well. and the government wants to support me. same story everywhere i go, can't find the job, it is not
8:34pm
there for you. >> you have two prestigious degrees from two very prestigious universities. what are you doing now? >> i am working for an energy company that helps people save money on their building costs. so portfolio managers, building owners now, but it is low grade and i want to expand and get something better. frankly, mike, i want to make the salary that i know i can live off more comfortably and live to enrich my own life, and that's not something i am doing now. again, i have been looking, and it is just not happening for me. >> maybe being on the show you'll get a call. >> why not. >> max, we want to hire you. i hope so. talk to mike, maybe he has something for you. >> i am hiring. >> thank you, max, great to have you here. mike thought that a great ivy league education may land him a job, but maybe an expensive college degree isn't the path. a lot of people should consider a career in skilled labor. mike rowe is host of discovery
8:35pm
channel hit show "dirty jobs." he also has a foundation, mike wow works. that helps young people train for well-paying jobs in skilled labor. mike, it is a real pleasure having you here. >> nice to be here. [ cheers and applause ] >> you're talking about something, mike, that's near and dear to my heart, that is that a college degree is not always the ticket to a good career, and yet we're told that, you know, if you go to college, you're going to be able to get a good job and make a lot of money. >> look, it is a difficult thing to talk about because the minute you take a position that's contrary to the prevailing narrative, you're seen as anti-college. well, look, not all knowledge comes from college, all right? there's been a thing -- [ applause ] -- it is so easy, i think, to confuse the cause of the thing with the symptom of a thing. and a lot of things that we talk about today, a lot of the
8:36pm
headlines from the skills gap, to unemployment, to currency devaluation, to the changing face of the modern day -- whatever it is, these are symptoms in my opinion of a bigger problem, that's a relationship with work that is on "dirty jobs," we saw it again and again and again, people were continually surprised to see how happy the people were that we met, and to see how prosperous they were. so there's a chronology in all things. in college, look, i wouldn't trade my degree, but when i got out of high school, i didn't know what i wanted to do. i went to a community college. i spent two-and-a-half years at 40 bucks a credit. so you can afford to fail, right? trying to figure out, trying to figure out what it is i wanted to do with the useful part of my career, and it took a while to sort it out. i feel lucky because i did it in the right order. i never took on any debt. in the end, i'm okay.
8:37pm
>> you know, there's a poster that you saw i think in high school guidance, we have a shot of it. >> that's what i meant when i talked about cause versus symptoms. this is the single worst piece of advice i got. when i was a senior, my guidance counselor called me down to talk about my future. he suggested james madison or university of maryland. did pretty good on my exams. i told him the story i just told you, and he pointed to the poster and he said which one of the guys do you want to be? if you see the caption on the bottom, work smart not hard. that's where the old chestnut began and that poster was part of an early college recruitment. on mine, we work to say -- >> it is a small thing. >> we are challenging people to get them hung in classrooms around the country because the argument is really simple. if you're a society that took the advice of work smart not hard, if you really do believe
8:38pm
you can separate hard work from success, then a lot of things we're dealing with now start to make sense. i don't want to sound like somebody's angry uncle on the porch screaming at kids to get off the lawn, but look, i don't care if you work for mcdonald's or for william's company that was just out here. if you show up early, if you stay late, and if you volunteer for the hard stuff, you're going to run that organization before too long. we just don't talk about that. >> that's such an important piece of advice. and i think we have almost diminish the importance of people that work with their hands. i value that. when i am on an airplane and it has a mechanical problem, i am more excited to see a certified mechanic than a history major come near the airplane. >> no kidding. >> it's just as simple as that. that job can't be outsourced. i told people, if you need a plumber, you can't outsource the toilet, send it to china, have them send it back. >> that would be very expensive. look, again, it is not about
8:39pm
this is bad or this is good. this is a skills gap, all right, something, the bls at the top of the show was interesting, but it is another inconvenient piece of the narrative that nobody talks about. there are 3 million jobs available right now, companies like caterpillar struggling to find heavy equipment mechanics. these are good jobs, okay? >> what do they pay. >> you can start there mid-40s, with a couple years experience, 120, 130 a year. >> do you have an application with you? >> but it is simply a question of what do we value, what do we celebrate. it is like manufacturing. if you look at detroit and consider all of the things that went wrong, for me it just starts with our relationship with that which we make, our relationship with making things, you know. we're just missing the headline in the conversation over and over and over.
8:40pm
>> if you had a piece of advise you could give to the president and to congress, what would you tell them? >> look, first of all, i'm not an expert, never want to put myself out there as one. i would say the reality of the situation right now, vis-a-vis alternative education, we have to make a case for the trades. we have to start with an awareness, a campaign, a public relations campaign that challenges perceptions and stigmas. 3 million shovel ready jobs from four or five years ago is a great idea, i had a dirty jobber tell me when that was announced, look, that will be a tough sell. you're talking to a country that no longer has a relationship with a shovel. you have to start at the beginning. so i would say let's maybe step back a little bit, have a broader conversation. i would say $1 trillion in student loans is no joke. and i would conclude by suggesting that we are lending money we don't have to kids who can't pay it back to train them for jobs that no longer exist. that's nuts. >> you know what, mike, that's common sense. that's why mike is going to stay with us. after the break, we bring back
8:41pm
some guests to expand the discussion. we'll talk more about is america becoming a part-time nation. we'll be right back. [ applause ] ng guys who leak a , to guard their manhood with new depend shields and guards. the discreet protection that's just for guys. now, it's your turn. get my training tips at guardyourmanhood.com
8:42pm
to help protect your eye health as you age... would you take it? well, there is. [ male announcer ] it's called ocuvite. a vitamin dedicated to your eyes, from bausch + lomb. as you age, eyes can lose vital nutrients. ocuvite helps replenish key eye nutrients. ocuvite is uniquely formulated to help protect your eye health. now that's a pill worth taking. [ male announcer ] ocuvite. help protect your eye health. and now there's ocuvite eye + multi. an eye vitamin and multivitamin in one. test test test waiting to look younger? don't wait. [ female announcer ] get younger looking skin fast. with new olay regenerist micro-sculpting cream. the next generation with 2 new anti-aging ingredients. it penetrates rapidly. visible wrinkle results start day 1.
8:43pm
and you'll see younger looking skin before you even finish one jar. ♪ new olay regenerist. the wait is over. stephanie sanders used to make more than $16 an hour and
8:44pm
commissions selling skin care products. after an unsuccessful search, took a minimum wage part-time job at a fast food restaurant working 20 hours a week. she's on strike, would like to unionize. stephanie. >> hi, governor. >> how would the union in the fast food arena help you, do you believe? >> everything is power of numbers. if i was to go to the boss or corporation on my own with a problem, i wouldn't get anything done, versus going through a union with a union behind me, i think the outcome would be much more successful. >> sometimes the union dues become very expensive. would you lose more than you might gain if you go from 7.25 an hour to $8 an hour, but the union wages or union dues cost you? >> no, i don't think i would because, you know, it all falls
8:45pm
back on if i get $8 an hour, that would be a start, that would be more than 7.25, and i would be able to live comfortably. >> stephanie, i hope you do well, i really do. it is a tough break to lose the job you had that was paying you a whole lot better than what you're doing now. i appreciate your being here and sharing your story and your perspective. >> thank you. >> thank you very much. joining me now again, mike rowe, tamara holder, keith hall is back. let's address the issue. is unionization of fast food workers, is that viable, tamara? >> absolutely. >> you think it is? >> absolutely. this is an industry that has a very high turnover. we're seeing so many workers like stephanie going to fast food places because they have nowhere else to turn, and they're taking whatever job they can. but we're also seeing they're paying people just barely above minimum wage, and these are
8:46pm
people -- 46% of these people are age 21 to 35. they have families, they have kids. they need to pay for more than just whatever $8.95 an hour can pay for. >> mike, does the unionization of the fast food worker really help them, or does it raise prices so high that people can't afford to go there? >> honestly, it is a bit beyond my pay grade, but what's interesting to me is being look, the union conversation is about the relationship between the worker and the boss. the conversation that i'm personally obsessed with is about the relationship between a few hundred million americans and work. work and labor are different things. and i think it is really easy to talk about two different things accidently at the same time when you talk about this story and the topic that we were just talking about, which one informs the other, right? i wish her well, too.
8:47pm
i mean, honestly, my liberal friends and my conservative friends seem to want the same thing, whether the issue is rent control, unionization, minimum wage. they just disagree on what's the symptom and what's the cause. that's still missing from the conversation. that's a long way of saying -- >> but not talking protection of workers. governor huckabee, i worked with unions, i represented railroad workers who were fired in the name of homeland security and they had to go to their unions to get their protection from their employers, and so i understand what personally as working with people, why the unions are important. back in the day, unions were created because of poor workplace conditions. we don't really have that any more. now we're talking about a different form of protection, health care, whether or not you like obama care, health care. these are things that workers need and want. >> but the unions are totally disenchanted with obama care.
8:48pm
james hoffa's letter was scathing that he wrote to the president. >> and i'm not defending. i didn't defend obama care. my statement, let me make it clear, my statement did not defend obama care, but what unions do is they protect workers and make sure they have proper health care. what person in this audience, who doesn't want health care from an employer? who doesn't want protection? >> i wouldn't personally, unless it was a rhetorical question, i don't expect the person that hires me to take care of me in every aspect of my life. i just don't do it. that's just me. >> as a self-employed person, i expect my employer to take care of that, but i am self employed. >> i am a small business owner, i pay my own health insurance. >> i want to bring in keith. help us understand, this isn't something that's just about numbers and figures, it is about real people with some real hurt in their lives, but it does get to the point of what is a better answer than asking the government to come in and demand certain things?
8:49pm
is there a market solution, or do we have to wait for the government to come in and order people to treat their employees right? >> that's not the right way to get things done, to get higher wages. you want higher wages because businesses are growing and they want to hire people and have to pay them more to get good people on board. the story we just heard, the problem i see is not that she doesn't get paid more at a fast food place, it is that she lost a job to begin with and had to retreat to a fast food job. and to the point about work ethic, et cetera, and fast food. right now we're at an all time low with teenagers. about 25% of teenagers have work now. that's an all-time low, and that's typically been where fast food workers come from. and if we've got throw-quarters of our teenagers not working, not having work experience when they head into their working age, that's a problem.
8:50pm
>> mike, i want to address something. mcdonald's takes a lot of heat for low paying jobs, working at mcdonald's. my son worked in mcdonald's when he was in high school. you know what he learned? he learned when to show up, he learned discipline. the job. >> people don't talk about the skills gap. show up on time, tuck in your shirt.
8:51pm
the single hardest thing is to find people who are angry and it's or you don't. >> tamara, you're shaking your head. >> i worked at mcdonald's when i was a junior in high school. i worked there, did not like it and wanted something better for myself and like an abuse if relationship. where are you going to go? you can stay here with me, and you have no skills, and you can stay here and have a bed, and you have food z water. but because you can't leave this abusive relationship where are you going to go? you can't go out to some shelter, you're homeless without me. we can pay you nothing. we can pay you nothing. >> i think you're missing is that if you're better at even that low-skill job than anyone around you, you won't stay in that job. you'll find a way to move up.
8:52pm
>> 2.2% of the jobs at mcdonalds are managerial. they're low, low-wage jobs. >> we're out of time. i'll treat treet you all to a big mac after the show. thank you very much. coming up i've got closing thoughts. stay with us. play close. good and close. help keep teeth clean and breath fresh with beneful healthy smile snacks. with soft meaty centers and teeth cleaning texture ...it's dental that tastes so good new beneful healthy smile food and snacks i'll just press this, and you'll save on both. ding! ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls,
8:53pm
llllet's get ready to bundlllllle... [ holding final syllable ] oh, yeah, sorry! let's get ready to bundle and save. now, that's progressive. oh, i think i broke my spleen! home insurance provided and serviced by third party insurers.
8:54pm
i was having trouble getting out of bed in the morning because my back hurt so bad. the sleep number bed conforms to you. i wake up in the morning with no back pain. do you toss and turn? wake up with back pain? if so, call us now. you'll learn how the sleep number bed helps relieve back pain by allowing you to adjust the firmness and support to conform to your body for a more proper spinal alignment. just look at this research... 93% of participants experienced back-pain relief. plus it's a great value because it costs about the same an innerspring yet lasts twice as long. so if you want to sleep better or find relief for your bad back, call now. call the number on your screen for your free information kit with dvd brochure and price list. call now and we'll include a free $50 savings card. call now for your free information and this free $50 savings card. call now!
8:55pm
i've had a paying job it empou become the first male in the family to graduate high school and go on to college. when i was still a teenager i had two jobs for a while. my job at kxar radio, helped me learn how to communicate and keep up with communicate, keep on my feet,
8:56pm
keep up with world events, keep up my confidence and overcome my fear of crowds. my work at jcpenney taught me the hard wof of unloading freight trucks, stocked. and to this day it really ticks me off when people use their hands on the glass of a door instead of the handle because i was the one that had to run and clean it. >> i have often been paid a whole lot less than what i thought i was worse and sometimes i've been paid more than i deserved but still less than i would have liked. a couple of times in my life i had jobbed that ended and i had no idea what i was going to do to pay my bills or feed my family, but i found something to do. even when it was not anything like what i was educated to do or enjoyed doing. now, if i were unable to find a
8:57pm
job, even a menial one, far below my capacity, i'm not sure i could handle it. i would probably go door to door offering to sweep porch ts, rake leaves just to be dog something. i work so long i don't know how to not work. it's one reason they think the highest urgency of our government is the creating of opportunity so people can work. a job is not just how we put bread on our stable. it's how we put life and hope into our soul. that's our show for tonight. hope you enjoyed being here. from new york, mike huckabee. good night and god bless.ays, t
8:58pm
8:59pm
9:00pm
with us. let not your heart be troubled. here's a man whose policies have done great damage to this country. have done great damage to the american culture. to the american psyche. >> washington doesn't want to find a -- 1/6 of the economy is gone. the government took it. i don't think the rest of the world is enamored with obama. i love radio. radio is the single greatest opportunity i have to be who i am. >> rush limbaugh on the